103: Obsessing Over Smartphones
In the past decade, one handheld device has become ubiquitous through the entire all modern (and even semi-modern) civilizations. Steve Jobs introduced us to the smartphone, and no matter whether you prefer Apple or Android, the smartphone has no signs of leaving.
"We're having our self-esteem built, molded, tweaked by what we see on social media through our phones." - CJ McClanahan
Like this show? Please leave us a review here — even one sentence helps! Consider leaving your Twitter handle so we can thank you personally!
Have any questions, comments, or stories you’d like to share with us? Drop us a line at email@example.com!
On This Week's Episode, We Discuss:
Tips to Reduce Stress From Bad Smartphone Usage Habits
- Don't keep your phone on your person at all times.
- Turn off notifications
- Silence your phone (not even vibe mode), and get rid of the blinking indicator light.* (come exceptions)
- Remove social media apps from your home screen. Force yourself to have to hunt for them if you want to use them.
- Limit your smartphone time usage... using an app
- Replace old habits with something else, such as reading, meditation or mindfulness exercises.
- Don't check your phone within the first 30 minutes of waking up. Use an old-school alarm clock if you need help waking up in the morning.
- Set after-work and leisure time limits. Set expectations with your colleagues and/or employees that you respect your free time and theirs.
- Share your frustration with someone close to you, and enlist an accountability buddy if needed.
Please Scroll Down for Full Show Notes and Featured Resources!
The Two Rule Foundation is on a mission to helps inspire professionals to live gratefully and commit more of their resources to help those in need. The foundation can help you determine who you should give your money to and how.
Looking to get more out of all your hard work? Enroll in ThriveMap University, an online video program for professionals. 100% of proceeds are donated to the Two Rule Foundation.
And if you want us to answer your questions on one of our upcoming episodes, drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mentioned in This Episode:
- Smartphone Compulsion Test by Dr. David Greenfield
- Scientists Study Nomophobia -- The Fear of Being Without A Mobile Phone via Scientific American
- Social Media Is Ripping Apart Society - Ex-facebook Executive Chamath Palihapitiya on CNBC
- How Facebook Was Designed To Exploit The Vulnerability Of The Human Mind - Sean Parker, Chamath Palihapitiya
- 12 Steps Of Alcoholics Anonymous - Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation
- Moment App - iOS app hat limits distraction by apps and social media
- How To Use Timeboxing via Mindtools
- What Is An Appropriate Response Time To Email? via FastCompany
- Waiting For A Reply? Study Explains The Psychology Behind Email Response Time via Forbes
- Why Every Organization Needs A Standard Response Time Policy via Forbes